Friday, August 5, 2011

Selfishly missing the moments...

The reason for this post is obvious from the title...this momma has been way over stressed and missing some of the best moments in life that cannot be redone. Thank goodness the Lord allowed us to get a decent camera so that I can capture those moments on my camera so that at least I can go back in time through memories!

Basically, I have allowed my being unemployed to dim what is most important to me...my family. My husband says I have been crabby for 3+ months...no surprise there. My poor husband. My kids have been troopers....though mommy is stressed to the max, they carry on with happiness. There are so many unanswered questions that I keep aiming at the Lord, but I am determined to step back from my selfishness and remember the two greatest blessings that God has given me. They keep me going. Needing to force myself out of bed to be a mother has kept me from giving into the horrible arms of depression that threaten to overtake me. I realize fully that God has a plan for this family. Once again, my heart and my head are in turmoil against one another. My heart knows the truth, but my head goes on with its negative knowledge of what can really happen to us if I don't get a job soon. Giving it all to God is such a relief...unfortunately my head takes it all back at least 24 times a day....

Ok moving on to my special blessings!

Build a Bear for Miracle's 7th birthday
I had no idea what to get my beautiful girl for her birthday. She wanted 'another doll McDonald's toy and silly bands'. Wow. She is super easy to please, but I wanted to get something a little more meaningful than that. The next morning we saw a build a bear commercial, and I was excited. I knew she would love doing the workshop and wouldn't even mind if her brother had to come along. I knew the bear she would choose as soon as we walked in the door. Hello Kitty is an old time favorite of hers! She  named her kitty Maggie...and JJ named his new rabbit Thumper, 'fumper' if you ask him! We had so much fun! I did not have any trouble getting them to leave the store because we were headed to the hospital to see their favorite new cousin that was only one day old!

A few weeks later, we were swimming with my sister in law when JJ got his first bee sting! I almost forgot to even write that down. I know it's silly...but I want to remember that kind of stuff. He got his second bee sting a few days later. Thank goodness we now know that he is NOT allergic to bee stings!



A few weeks later, we enjoyed a great day at the park. My kids love to play even in the 100 degree weather. We took our water bottles and settled in for some fun. The kids had a blast. Mommy had ulterior motives. The next day we had to go to the dentist...I wanted to distract them because they were both a bit worried!


JJ was a champ about the whole ordeal. He was nervous but showed his bravery quite well. Thankfully, he got a great review---Healthy Teeth!  Miracle was not so lucky. I did not get a picture because they shooed me out of the room to watch through the window. Poor kid! She is super brave though. She ended up needing some pretty scary dental work. I hate the first few years of her life (starting in the womb) that gave her a definite disadvantage as far as her young teeth are concerned. We brush, brush, brush with no success. Thankfully, she is my super brave girl! She hardly flinched. She had to get a treat afterwards. She was so brave, but mommy had an urge to cry the entire time. When people say kids are just your heart walking around outside your body...they are so correct!

Overall, we have had a great summer...or at least my kids have. They even find a way to have fun when we are stuck at home. They have super enjoyed a week getting to see Nana and Papa alot....I have too! We got our entire family's pictures done last night...I should have some to post soon!

I hope you are all having a wonderful summer! Don't be like me and almost miss the moments. They are such blessings if you only take the time to notice them!

4 comments:

Changing Family said...

Holly, Your posts always say out loud what my heart is saying inside. I cannot believe how big your kiddos are getting. Treasure the next few weeks until they head back to school.

The Splan Clan said...

Thanks Melissa! You are an encouragement to me for sure! I just write from the heart....this is like my online journal so I have to be honest with myself and just write out the words so that I can realize my selfishness even more!

The Splan Clan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

love your family. You are so strong even when you do not feel it. I admire you so much. Keep your head up and trusting even when it gets hard. Love You so much. M